By Cliff Harvey
Reishi is a tree fungus that has been used for centuries in China and Japan touted as a ‘magical healing herb’. It is one of the oldest mushrooms known to have been used medicinally.
Reishi is said to strengthen immunity and could potentially be useful for autoimmune diseases. A test tube study found it to potentially have immunomodulatory effects (1,2).
Other highly preliminary forms of evidence suggest that reishi may have antiviral effects (3-5) and possibly antibacterial effects as well (6).
Contemporary herbalists regard reishi as an adaptogen, a substance believed to be capable of helping the body resist stress of all kinds. Therefore due to the adaptogenic effects, it is thought to help calm you down and ensure a better nights sleep.
Courtney Galiano (a professional dancer) had this to say about the product:
I am a professional dancer with Multiple Sclerosis so keeping my immune system as strong as possible is a priority for me. I tried the Reishi Elixir from Four Sigmatic and I fell in love with it! I would recommend these teas to anyone and everyone!
- Bao X, Fang J, Li X. Structural characterization and immunomodulating activity of a complex glucan from spores ofGanoderma lucidum.Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2001;65:2384-2391.
- Bao XF, Wang XS, Dong Q, Fang JN, Li XY. Structural features of immunologically active polysaccharides fromGanoderma lucidum.Phytochemistry. 2002;59:175-181.
- el-Mekkawy S, Meselhy MR, Nakamura N, et al. Anti-HIV-1 and anti-HIV-1-protease substances from Ganoderma lucidum. Phytochemistry. 1998;49:1651-1657.
- Eo SK, Kim YS, Lee CK, Han SS. Possible mode of antiviral activity of acidic protein bound polysaccharide isolated from Ganoderma lucidumon herpes simplex viruses. J Ethnopharmacol.2000;72:475-481.
- Eo SK, Kim YS, Lee CK, Han SS. Antiherpetic activities of various protein bound polysaccharides isolated from Ganoderma lucidum. J Ethnopharmacol. 1999;68:175-181.
- Wicks SM, Tong R, Wang CZ, et al. Safety and tolerability of Ganoderma lucidumin healthy subjects: a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial. Am J Chin Med. 2007;35:407-414.