Lion’s Mane mushroom (Hericium erinaceus) is a medicinal mushroom native to North America, Europe and Asia. As well as looking freaky-cool (check out the pic!)
Lion’s Mane has a long history of use in traditional Chinese medicine. Animal research suggests a range of antioxidant effects, regulation of blood glucose,1 and the ability to help regeneration of damaged neural tissue.2, 3 Systematic reviews in 2013 and 2014 suggested anti-cancer, immune-modulating, neuroprotective (protecting brain tissue), blood glucose regulation, anti-microbial, anti-hypertensive (reducing high blood pressure), and wound healing effects,4 and that Lion’s Mane may help Alzheimer’s disease.5
We’ve been using Lion’s Mane and Chaga Coffee by Four Sigmatic in the morning and can say that it definitely seems to boost brain power and productivity! Tim Ferriss (author of the Four Hour Work Week) had this to say about the Four Sigmatic THINK with Chaga and Lion’s Mane:
"I had half a packet... and I was on FIRE for the entire day I got more done that day than three or four days prior to that.”
- Tim Ferriss
- Wang JC, Hu SH, Wang JT, Chen KS, Chia YC. Hypoglycemic effect of extract of Hericium erinaceus. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2005;85(4):641-6.
- Mori K, Obara Y, Hirota M, Azumi Y, Kinugasa S, Inatomi S, et al. Nerve Growth Factor-Inducing Activity of <i>Hericium erinaceus</i> in 1321N1 Human Astrocytoma Cells. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2008;31(9):1727-32.
- Wong K-H, Naidu M, David RP, Bakar R, Sabaratnam V. Neuroregenerative Potential of Lion's Mane Mushroom, <i>Hericium erinaceus</i> (Bull.: Fr.) Pers. (Higher Basidiomycetes), in the Treatment of Peripheral Nerve Injury (Review). 2012;14(5):427-46.
- Khan MA, Tania M, Liu R, Rahman MM. Hericium erinaceus: an edible mushroom with medicinal values. Journal of complementary & integrative medicine. 2013;10.
- Jiang S, Wang S, Sun Y, Zhang Q. Medicinal properties of Hericium erinaceus and its potential to formulate novel mushroom-based pharmaceuticals. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2014;98(18):7661-70.